INDIA VS SOUTH AFRICA
4th TEST, FEROZESHAH KOTLA, NEW DELHI
South Africa innings
- Play called off due to bad light.
- India have dismissed South Africa for 121 to take 213-run first innings lead but Virat Kohli is not enforcing the follow on. Indian openers have rushed off the field. Jadeja has been outstanding for India, bowling the perfect pace on this pitch, attacking the stumps persistently. Apart from AB, no South African batsmen looked confident on a pitch on which the Indian lower order added more than 100 runs this morning.
- WICKET! Ravichandran Ashwin dismisses Imran Tahir. Another slog from Tahir and another mis-hit, sending the ball high in the air towards deep midwicket, KL Rahul takes the catch. Imran Tahir c sub (KL Rahul) b Ashwin 1 (9b 0x4 0x6).
- DROPPED! Imran Tahir tries to hit Ravichandran Ashwin out of the part but ends up sending it high up in the air towards midwicket. Virat Kohli runs back, calls for it and spills it.
- WICKET! What a catch by Ishant Sharma on the long-off boundary to dismiss AB de Villiers. Jadeja gets a five-for! AB charged and lofted the ball. It was not a clean hit. Ishant positioned himself on the long off boundary, only a few feet from the rope, and then reached behind him and to his left to grab the ball. AB de Villiers c I Sharma b Jadeja 42 (78b 5x4 0x6). South Africa 118 for 9.
- What will AB de Villiers do now? Will he attack or grind away?
- WICKET! Ravindra Jadeja claims his fourth wicket. Dane Piedt is caught at slip while trying drive away from his body at a flighted ball that spins sharply away from him. The edge travels quickly at chest height to Rahane at first slip but when he is there you don't have to worry. Dane Piedt c Rahane b Jadeja 5 (18b 0x4 0x6). South Africa 103 for 8.
- AB de Villiers is waging a lone battle. It must be frustrating for him to see his teammates putting up no fight against ordinary bowling.
- WICKET! Ravichandran Ashwin finally gets a wicket. Kyle Abbott went on the back foot to a ball that pitched just outside off and skids on with the arm. He tried to defend but missed and was hit plumb in front. Kyle Abbott lbw b Ashwin 4 (6b 1x4 0x6). South Africa 84 for 7.
- WICKET! Bowled him! Ishant Sharma has opens account at his home turf. Confused between whether to play or leave the ball, Dane Villas ended up losing his stumps. Ishant hits a good length, swings the ball into the right-hander. Vilas was late in bringing his bat down while defending from his crease. Dane Vilas b I Sharma 11 (21b 1x4 0x6). South Africa 79 for 6.
- WICKET! Umesh Yadav has cleaned up JP Duminy. Good length on off stump from around the wicket and the ball straightens up after pitching. Duminy defends down the wrong line, the ball beats the outside edge and hits the top of off stump. JP Duminy b Yadav 1 (8b 0x4 0x6). South Africa 65 for 5 in 31 overs.
- WICKET! Ravindra Jadeja is on a rampage. It was a suicidal shot from Faf du Plessis. Faf tries paddle-scoop the ball to fine leg but ends up edging it. The ball logs up tamely behind the stumps in the direction of leg-slip. Ajinkya Rahane completes a simple catch. Faf du Plessis c Rahane b Jadeja 0 (2b 0x4 0x6). South Africa 62 for 4 in 28 overs.
- WICKET! Ravindra Jadeja provides another wicket. This one is big. Hashim Amla slashes at a ball outside the off stump and nicked it to wicketkeeper Wriddhiman Saha. Hashim Amla c Saha b Jadeja 3 (34b 0x4 0x6). South Africa 56 for 3 in 26 overs.
- WICKET! Ravindra Jadeja strikes right after tea. Temba Bavuma is out. The ball pitches on a good length just outside off and skids on with the arm. Bavuma stays back in the crease, doesn't move his feet, exposing off and middle stump to Jadeja's accurate line and length. Bavuma pokes tentatively and an inside edge deflected the ball on to the stumps. Temba Bavuma b Jadeja 22 (55b 3x4 0x6). South Africa 40 for 2.
- TEA! South Africa are 38 for the loss of 1 wicket. Dean Elgar's was the only wicket to fall. Umesh Yadav gets the wicket for India.
- WICKET! Umesh Yadav provides India the first breakthrough. Opener Dean Elgar goes. It was a full length delivery, a bit wide of the off stump and moves away to take outside edge. Elgar didn't move his feet and tried to reach for the ball. Saha takes a smart, low catch. Dean Elgar c Saha b Yadav 17 (50b 2x4 0x6). South Africa 36 for 1 in 14.3 overs.
- Dean Elgar and Temba Bavuma open the innings for South Africa.
- Players are in, Ishant Sharma has the new ball.
- India all out for 334 runs. Major contributions from Ajinkya Rahane (127) and Ravichandran Ashwin (56). For South Africa, Kyle Abbott takes 5 wickets for 40 runs and Dane Piedt claims 4 wickets for 117 runs.
- WICKET! Ishant Sharma goes for 0. Kyle Abbott completes his 5-wicket haul.
- WICKET! Ravichandran Ashwin is caught at midwicket! Kyle Abbott gets him. Ashwin tried to pull but this short ball reached him quicker than he expected. The bat turned on contact, splicing the ball high into the air. AB de Villiers ran backwards to take the catch. Ravichandran Ashwin c de Villiers b Abbott 56 (184m 140b 6x4 1x6).
- Players are back after the lunch. Ravichandran Ashwin will take strike.
- LUNCH! Ajinkya Rahane's century and Ravichandran Ashwin's half-century have put India in a strong position. India are 326 for 8. The morning session belonged to India with 95 runs coming in this session for the loss of Rahane, who made his maiden Test hundred in India. Ashwin, at the other end, has batted with the solidity of a top-order batsman.
- SIX and Ravichandran Ashwin completes his HALF-CENTURY.
- WICKET! Ajinkya Rahane's innings gets over. He tries to hit it over the covers but could not get enough elevation and ended up giving an easy catch to AB de Villiers at covers. Imran Tahir gets his first wicket. Rahane walks off to warm applause from the Kotla. Ajinkya Rahane c de Villiers b Imran Tahir 127 (215b 11x4 4x6). India 296 for 8.
- Two SIXES! from the over. Ajinkya Rahane is not in mood to let South African spinners settle down. He charged down the track twice against Dane Piedt, who took four wickets yesterday, and sent him out of the park.
- Ajinkya Rahane completes his maiden Test century at home. It is his fifth Test century overall. It is a well-timed century. India needed it badly. Rahane took 180 balls to reach the three-figure mark. Interestingly, Rahane has become the first batsman to reach three-figure mark in this series.
- DROPPED! Hashim Amla has dropped a catch offered by Ravichandran Ashwin in the slips off Kyle Abbott. It was outside off stump and Ashwin edged it. The ball was dying down continuously but it still carried to the first slip where Amla failed to take it. The ball hit his hand first and then the ground. That's the third catch Amla's put down at slip in this innings.
- South Africa have taken the new ball. It became available to them yesterday evening but Hashim Amla did not take it.
- It's game time. Rahane to face.
- Welcome to the second day of the match. Ajinkya Rahane will begin the day 11 runs short of a maiden Test century at home. It will be his fifth overall if he succeeds. He has Ravichandran Ashwin for company and the tail to follow. The early morning conditions will be hard, though, and South Africa will have well rested Kyle Abbott and Morne Morkel running in.