Cheered by tens of thousands of supporters, the 21st Chief Minister of the country's most populous state was administered the oath of office and secrecy by Governor Ram Naik.
Dressed in his characteristic saffron robes, Adityanath then walked over to and sought the blessings of BJP veterans L.K. Advani and Murli Manohar Joshi as well as Home Minister Rajnath Singh, the Lucknow MP.
Phoolpur MP Keshav Prasad Maurya and Lucknow Mayor Dinesh Sharma were then sworn in as Deputy Chief Ministers -- in that order.
Here are live updates:
- Cricketer-turned-politician Mohsin Raza sworn in as minister of state becoming the lone Muslim face in Adityanath govt
- Swati Singh taking oath as minister (independent charge) of UP govt
- Bhupendra Singh Chaudhary, Dharam Singh Saini & Shri Anil Rajbhar take oath as ministers
- Upendra Tiwari, Mahendra Singh and Swatantra Dev Singh take oath as ministers (independent charge) of Uttar Pradesh government.
- Suresh Rana takes oath as Minister of State with Independent charge in UP govt.
- Ashutosh Tandon takes oath as cabinet minister
- Mukut Bihari Verma takes oath as cabinet minister of Uttar Pradesh government
- Sidharth Nath Singh taking oath as cabinet minister of Uttar Pradesh government.
- Former cricketer and BJP leader Chetan Chauhan takes oath as cabinet minister of Uttar Pradesh government.
- Srikant Sharma takes oath as cabinet minister of Uttar Pradesh government
- Dara Singh Chauhan, Dharmpal Singh, S P Singh Baghel take oath as cabinet ministers of UP Govt, administered by Governor Ram Naik
- Surya Pratap Shahi and Suresh Khanna take oath as ministers.
- Satish Mahana, Rajesh Agarwal & Rita Bahuguna Joshi take oath as ministers
- Swami Prasad Maurya takes oath as a Cabinet Minister of Uttar Pradesh Government
- Keshav Prasad Maurya and Dinesh Sharma take oath as Deputy Chief Ministers.
- Yogi Adityanath takes oath as UP CM
- PM Narendra Modi, BJP chief Amit Shah attend swearing-in; outgoing CM Akhilesh Yadav, SP patron Mulayam Singh Yadav also present.
- PM Modi reaches the venue
- Amit Shah also arrives to attend Yogi's swearing-in ceremony
- Mulayam Singh Yadav also reaches at Yogi's swearing-in ceremony
- PM Narendra Modi arrives at Lucknow airport
- Akhilesh Yadav reaches at Yogi's swearing-in ceremony
- "Koi khatra nahi hai, aap aaram se rahiye", says Murli Manohar Joshi on being asked about safety of minority communities, reported ANI.
- Yogi Adityanath leaves for airport to receive PM Modi
- 5 women ministers in Yogi's cabinet: Sources
- One Muslim candidate, Mohsin Raza, to take oath in Yogi's cabinet
- Uttarakhand: Celebrations in UP CM designate Yogi Adityanath's residence in Panchur, Yamkeshwar
Later, addressing the media, Union Minister M Venkaiah Naidu, who along with BJP general secretary Bhupendra Yadav was present at the meeting as central observer for the election, told a press conference that Adityanath's name was proposed by Suresh Khanna, an 8-term MLA, and seconded by 10 others.
Naidu said even after the proposal was made, he asked the 312 newly elected MLAs if they wanted to propose anybody else for the post, but they all backed Adityanath unanimously.
Naidu said that the Yogi then said he needed two deputy CMs to assist him in the gigantic task, following which it was decided that Maurya and Sharma would hold the posts.
As the meeting was about to begin, an element of surprise gripped the venue when Adityanath reached Lok Bhawan opposite the imposing Assembly complex.
Midway through the meeting, Sharma was asked to attend the deliberations.
Interestingly, none of the three is a legislator in Uttar Pradesh.
As soon as it was decided that the saffron-robed Gorakhpur MP will hold the reins of the state, party leaders and MLAs rushed to the dais with sweets and garlands.
Adityanath will be the 21st chief minister of Uttar Pradesh and the fourth from the saffron party.
He will be sworn in tomorrow at a ceremony at Kanshiram Smriti Upvan at 2.15 PM where Prime Minister Narendra Modi and BJP chief Amit Shah will be present.
(With inputs from agencies)
First Published: 18 Mar 2017 07:54 PM