This festival is marked by the summer harvest and is celebrated with numerous festivities. It includes Vallam Kali, Pulikali, Pookkalam, Onathappan, Tug of War, Atthachamayam and other celebrations.
Though a Hindu festival, non- Hindu communities of Kerala participate in celebrations considering as cultural festival.Some non- Hindus do not participate in this festival as they consider it as a religious one.
People celebrate this festival by making special dishes like Onam Sadya. It reflects the spirit of the season and is made with seasonal vegetables. The swing is integral part of Onam in the rural areas.
People in Kerala celebrate this festival with joy and happiness and with food eating or Pookalam competitions.
- Messages to Send to People on Onam
People wish their loved ones by sending these messages and making their festival special.
- May the Colors and Lights of Onam fill your home with happiness and prosperity.
- Keep the spirit of Onam shining in your hearts and homes. Happy Onam!
- Celebrate the spirit of the harvest festival in all its splendor. Decorate your house with Pookalams, listen to the melodious Onappattus and enjoy the festivities
- May your home be blessed with Prosperity and Good Fortune on this occasion of Onam.
- May Lord Vamana bless you with a wonderful harvest of your deeds at all times and on this festive occasion, may you reap a wonderful harvest of crop, relationship and happiness.
- May this year be a great start of your life ahead. May this harvest festival bring prospeity and good luck into your life. Happy Onam.
- Wishing you all a happy Onam.
- O - Ormayude
N - Nanmayude
A - Aghoshangalde
M - Malayalikalude Ponnonam
- May the celebration of return of pious Mahabali abode well for you and your family.
- May your life be decorated like Pookalam, sail in harmony like a snake boat. Happy Onam to all!