Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Friday surprised everyone with his announcement that he would head to Pakistan from Kabul instead of returning to meet PM Nawaz Sharif.
In a tweet, he said he wished Sharif on his birthday. He informed he would drop by to Lahore to meet Sharif.
“Looking forward to meeting PM Nawaz Sharif in Lahore today afternoon, where I will drop by on my way back to Delhi,” he wrote.
Looking forward to meeting PM Nawaz Sharif in Lahore today afternoon, where I will drop by on my way back to Delhi.
— Narendra Modi (@narendramodi) December 25, 2015
Meanwhile, Sushma Swaraj has welcomed the announcement.
That's like a statesman. Padosi se aise hi rishte hone chahiyen. https://t.co/dM26am9tWf
— Sushma Swaraj (@SushmaSwaraj) December 25, 2015
@narendramodi took blessings of #NawazSharif's mother by touching her feet
- It was a good will visit: Pak Foreign Secretary Aizaz Chaudhry on PM Modi's visit
- PM Narendra Modi boards flight for Delhi
- PM Narendra Modi and PM Nawaz Sharif leave from latter's residence
- PM Modi and PM Sharif meeting ends
- We think it was pre-arranged and not a spontaneous decision: Anand Sharma, Cong on PM Modi’s Pakistan visit
- I reject completely Sushma Swaraj’s claim that this is statesman like: Anand Sharma, Cong on PM Modi’s Pak visit
- PM Narendra Modi & Pak PM Nawaz Sharif arrive at latter's residence in Lahore
- PM Modi leaves for Pak counterpart Nawaz Sharif's House in Jati Umra, Raiwind
- PM Modi meets Pak counterpart Nawaz Sharif at Lahore airport, hugged him
- PM Narendra Modi reaches Lahore, Pak PM Nawaz Sharif to welcome him at the airport
- PM Narendra Modi lands in Lahore
If PM Modi bring back Dawood Ibrahim, then we will call it successful visit: Shiv Sena
- Pak PM Nawaz Sharif at Lahore airport, will receive PM Modi shortly
- PM Modi leaving from Kabul
- Modi to be offered meals prepared in ‘desi ghee’
- Kashmiri tea, mixed-veg, kheer and palak paneer on the menu
- This if PM Modi's first Pakistan visit
- LIVE: PM Narendra Modi has not boarded flight from Kabul yet
- Nawaz Sharif's grand-daughter to get married today
- It is possible that PM Modi will go to Sharif's residence.
- Nawaz Sharif has reached airport to receive PM Modi
- PM Modi to reach Pakistan at 3.15 pm
- We should see it positively if PM has decided to meet him, and we should hope that something positive will come out of it: Nalin Kohli
Sartaj Aziz, foreign affairs adviser to Pakistan Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif, on Wednesday proposed January 16 for talks between the foreign secretaries of Pakistan and India.
“Pakistan is now waiting for India’s response to the proposed dates,” Dwan online quoted Aziz as saying.
The foreign secretary-level talks between the two countries will be held in Islamabad, Aziz said.
In the meeting held between Sharif and the External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj on the sidelines of the ‘Heart of Asia’ conference here earlier this month, Swaraj said Prime Minister Narendra Modi will visit Pakistan during 2016.
Both the countries have agreed to reinitiate a comprehensive dialogue process, Swaraj had said during a joint press conference later.
PM Modi is in Kabul currently.
Delegation-level bilateral talks between India and Afghanistan were held here on Friday, led by Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Afghan President Ashraf Ghani respectively.
"Deepening India-Afghan friendship. PM & President lead delegation level talks over breakfast at Dilkosha Palace," External Affairs Ministry spokesman Vikas Swarup tweeted.