Sridevi's filmmaker husband Boney Kapoor performed the last rites at the ceremony. The couple's daughters, Jahnvi and Khushi, were by his side, said sources close to the family.
The actor's body was brought to the crematorium in an open, flower-bedecked hearse.
Sridevi's untimely death at the age of 54 in Dubai on Saturday had stunned the nation.
Wrapped in the tricolour, actress Sridevi on began her final journey with thousands of mourners jostling with each other to catch a glimpse of her cortege as it slowly made its way through the city to the Vile Parle crematorium.
A tall, air-conditioned truck, fully decorated with white flowers -- her favourite colour -- carried mortal remains of the actress.
Heres All That Happened On Wednesday
- Sridevi cremated with full state honours.
- Bollywood celebrities including Amitabh Bachchan and Shah Rukh Khan arrive at the crematorium where Sridevi will be cremated with full state honours.
— ANI (@ANI) February 28, 2018
- Mortal remains of Sridevi reach Vile Parle crematorium with thousands of her fans are standing outside to bid farewell to India's Chandni.
- Maharashtra government has accorded full state honours for the funeral of Sridevi which included draping her body in the national Tricolour, elaborate arrangements by the Mumbai Police, and a gun salute before the cremation.
#Sridevifuneral Visuals of Boney Kapoor, Arjun Kapoor, Anil Kapoor, Sanjay Kapoor and Mohit Marwah. LIVE: https://t.co/JQJlKZeiOk pic.twitter.com/yxsUZkJGe2
— ABP News (@abpnewstv) February 28, 2018
- Sridevi's husband Boney Kapoor, her daughters Khushi and Jhanvi, Arjun Kapoor, Anil Kapoor and Sanjay Kapoor are among those travelling in the truck with the body.
- The actor's mortal remains are draped in a red kanjivaram sari with a bindi on her forehead.
In Photo: Fans hold pictures of late Bollywood actress Sridevi Kapoor during her funeral procession. (AFP)
- Sridevi's last rites will take place in Vile Parle in Mumbai
- Journey towards last rites of Sridevi begins
- Vidya Balan gets too emotional while paying tribute to Sridevi
- Rekha reaches to pay her tribute
Veteran actress Rekha arrives at #CelebrationSportsClub to pay tributes to #Sridevihttps://t.co/a9VAKkwSm1 pic.twitter.com/SuKJAlabqh
— ABP News (@abpnewstv) February 28, 2018
- Maharashtra Police's soldiers arrive to give guard of honor to Sridevi. Her body will be wrapped in a tricolor
- Jacqueline Fernandez, Kajol & Ajay Devgn arrive at Mumbai's Celebration Sports Club
- Madhuri Dixit, Kajol pay their tributes to late actress
- Aishwarya Rai pays tributes to Sridevi
- Hema Malini, Jaya Prada pay their tributes to Sridevi
Sonam Kapoor arrives at Celebration Sports Club to pay last respects to Sridevi
Director #FarahKhan arrives at Mumbai's Celebration Sports Club to pay her tributes to #Sridevihttps://t.co/a9VAKkwSm1 pic.twitter.com/AeMy3YLm6p
— ABP News (@abpnewstv) February 28, 2018
- Thackeray family reaches to pay tributes to Sridevi
- Mumbai: Actor Arbaz Khan arrives at Celebration Sports Club to pay last respects to Sridevi
- Sridevi's mortal remains reached Mumbai's Celebration Sports Club
- Sridevi's last rites journey will commence from 2 pm
- In Mumbai's Celebration Sports Club, Sridevi's mortal remains will be kept for people to pay tributes
- Last rites of actress to take place today at 3:30
- Visitors are allowed to pay homage from 9:30 am
- Last rites of actress to take place today
- Sridevi's mortal remains taken to her residence where a huge crowd of fans was already waiting outside.
- Family members, including her film-maker husband Boney Kapoor and stepson Arjun Kapoor, brought her body in a private jet.
- Ambulance carrying Sridevi's mortal remains has left from the Mumbai airport to Boney Kapoor's residence at Green Acres in Lokhandwala, Mumbai.
Ambulance carrying #Sridevi's mortal remains en route to her residence. #SrideviDeathhttps://t.co/a9VAKkfgXr pic.twitter.com/MSNc55mSbU
— ABP News (@abpnewstv) February 27, 2018
- Private chartered jet carrying Sridevi's body lands at Mumbai airport. Industrialist Anil Ambani, Rajya Sabha MP Amar Singh are also present at the terminal.
- Plane carrying Sridevi's mortal remains leaves for Mumbai. The Embraer aircraft belonging to Anil Ambani's ADAG group departed from Dubai at around 7 pm (IST). It is expected to land in Mumbai at around 10 pm.
Anil Kapoor arrives at #Mumbai airport, chartered plane carrying mortal remains of #Sridevi to land shortly pic.twitter.com/raIx20n20h
— ANI (@ANI) February 27, 2018
- The last journey will commence at 2 pm from Celebration Sports Club to Vile Parle Seva Samaj Crematorium and Hindu Cemetery. The cremation will take place at around 3.30 p.m.: Family
- Sridevi's funeral will take place tomorrow late afternoon. Well-wishers can pay their condolences from 9.30 a.m. to 12.30 p.m. at Celebration Sports Club, Garden No 5, Lokhandwala Complex, Andheri West: Family said in a statement
- Meanwhile, #LetHerRestInPeace trends on Twitter to 'slam' the media for sensational reporting on Sridevi's death
- Sridevi's mortal remains will reach Mumbai by 10:30 PM and her last rites will be performed on Wednesday afternoon at Pawan Hans crematorium.
Embalming of #Sridevi's mortal remains has been completed, being taken to Dubai Airport : UAE media. pic.twitter.com/wxozMCqHiZ
— ABP News (@abpnewstv) February 27, 2018
- Dubai Public Prosecution stressed that all regular procedures followed in such cases have been completed. As per the forensic report, the death of the Indian actress occurred due to accidental drowning following loss of consciousness. The case has now been closed.
- The medical report showed that the death of Indian actress Sridevi Kapoor came as a result of her drowning in her hotel room after losing consciousness: Dubai Media Office
- Dubai Public Prosecution has approved the release of the body of the Indian actress Sridevi to her family following the completion of a comprehensive investigation into the circumstances of her death: Dubai Media Office
- The Public Prosecutor's Office: The decision to release the body came after all the investigations and procedural matters followed in such incidents were completed, in order to determine all its circumstances and ensure that justice was done within the framework of the law.
- The Public Prosecutor's Office of Dubai has closed Sridevi's case and decided to hand over her mortal remains to her family.
- Sridevi's mortal remains to come to India (Mumbai) today. Clearance letter handed over to family
- He has gone there to be with his father at the hotel while the formalities are being wrapped up and to oversee the return journey: PRO
- Actor Arjun Kapoor left for Dubai, this morning, says Yash Raj Films' PRO
- Veteran actor Waheeda Rehman arrives at the residence of Anil Kapoor in Mumbai
- 'Police take Boney Kapoor's statement,' say reports
- Another postmortem could be done of actress: Reports
- Editor of UAE's Khaleej Times, Vicky Kapur tells ABP News that the Dubai Police will record the statement of Boney Kapoor in connection with wife Sridevi's death. Kapur said Boney was present in the room where Sridevi died of "accident drowning".
Here's what happened on Monday:
- Mortal remains of Sridevi may not arrive in Mumbai today. The clearance of Public Prosecutor is awaited on whose basis Dubai Police could issue necessary instructions
- Rajya Sabha MP Amar Singh says actress Sridevi never consumed "hard drink". She used to drink wine but rarely, he says
- In case of any suspicious foul play, prosecutors would carry out further detailed investigations and decide on any future law enforcement procedures accordingly, chief prosecutor Bassam Za’Za tells Gulf News
Death certificate of actress Sridevi who died of "accidental drowning"
- Dubai Police will ask Boney Kapoor to give statement on wife Sridevi's death
- Sources say that the Dubai Police will examine phone call records of Sridevi
- Dubai Police has transferred the case to Dubai Public Prosecution, which will carry out regular legal procedures followed in such cases
#DubaiPolice has transferred the case to #Dubai Public Prosecution, which will carry out regular legal procedures followed in such cases.
— Dubai Policeشرطة دبي (@DubaiPoliceHQ) February 26, 2018
- Sridevi's body has been released for embalming
- “The investigation is still going on to determine the circumstances surrounding the accident as the forensic report only says that she drowned,” Gulf News quoted an official as saying.
- Sridevi was under the influence of alcohol, she lost balance and fell into the bathtub and drowned, reports Gulf News.
- The death certificate mentions the cause of death as accidental drowning
- Traces of alcohol were found in her blood.
- Sridevi drowned in her bathtub after she fainted, the report has confirmed. (Khaleej Times)
#FLASH Forensic report says, #Sridevi died from accidental drowning (Source: UAE's Gulf News) pic.twitter.com/eWXdw1p1ZL
— ANI (@ANI) February 26, 2018
- The Dubai Police release the forensic report on Sridevi's death to her family.
- Further delay likely in repatriation of Sridevi's remains
- Mortal remains of Sridevi likely to be flown back to India late Monday evening.
- Death certificate of Sridevi may be issued within an hour
- Sridevi will always remain alive in my memory. It feels awkward to speak of her in the past tense. We have lost the biggest star of our country. I still cannot believe it. It will take many years to register what has actually happened: Anupam Kher
- YRF Communications releases a statement: Boney Kapoor, Jhanvi, Khushi and the entire Kapoor, Ayyappan and Marwah family is deeply bereaved and shocked with the untimely loss of Sridevi Kapoor. They thank the entire media for their prayers, support and sensitivity during their time of grief. Late Sridevi Kapoor’s body will arrive in India tomorrow.
- According to the rule, if death has taken place outside the hospital then it takes 24 hours to complete the process. The laboratory report is yet to be received. The report will be given to the local police, which investigates the matter. If the death is natural, the police give NoC and transfer certificate. Sridevi's body will arrive in Mumbai tomorrow: Sources
- Sridevi's body is yet to be released by officials at the forensics department in Dubai. Family members and well-wishers are waiting outside the premises. One reason for the delay in releasing the body could be that office hours are now over: Sources
- "We are working with the Dubai Police to expedite the procedure to repatriate her (Sridevi) body to India," Vipul, Consul General of India in Dubai told PTI
Mumbai: Anupam Kher, Shilpa Shetty at the residence of Anil Kapoor #Sridevi pic.twitter.com/4lRGLPWFVq
— ANI (@ANI) February 25, 2018
- When she came she was not as talented as she is, she was. But she developed everyday she learnt. I was astounded by her climb and every step of it she worked for. She was very fond of me and I was very fond of her. We were working so continuously that our personal lives were on the periphery... So the kind of dedication she had truly matched mine and so it's no wonder that we were fond of each other: Actor-turned-politician Kamal Haasan
- My memories of Sridevi are built through my journey from being a fan girl to an actor and then my role as a politician. I have had opportunities to meet Sridevi in public engagements and industry events, and each time I went back knowing a little more about her: Union Minister Smriti Irani
- Pakistani actress, Sajal Aly Khan, who acted with Sridevi in last year s "Mom" aid she had lost her mother again. My experience of working with her was exceptional and she cared for me like a mother would for her child. I just feel as if I have again lost my mother," Aly said.
- Pakistani actress Mahira Khan tweeted, "So grateful to have grown up and lived in the times of Sridevi. Thank you for the movies, thank you for the magic. You shall live on forever." Pakistan's federal information minister, Maryam Aurangzeb also said at a function that everyone was sad to hear about Sridevi s death and described her as a very versatile actor.
Great artists.. we cry for them without ever really knowing them, we mourn them because they helped us know ourselves.. pic.twitter.com/9dwnDC8qjb
— Mahira Khan (@TheMahiraKhan) February 25, 2018
- It feels like a bad dream. I couldn't believe until I saw it on TV. We worked together in several movies. Sridevi was a wonderful actress and mother. It was her dream to see her daughters rule silver screen just like her: Jaya Prada
- It is really a sad day for the film industry. She was a complete artist & a great human being. May God give enough strength to her family to bear such tragedy: Raj Babbar
- Actor Kamal Haasan gets emotional while remembering Sridevi
- Sridevi's post-mortem begins in Dubai
- Sridevi suffered cardiac arrest inside hotel's bathroom in Dubai: Sources
- She was a very close friend of mine. I am really sad at her demise. This is a big loss. She was a born actor: Rajinikanth
- Actress' last rites likely to take place tomorrow
- Shocked to hear about the sudden and untimely death of one of India’s favourite actress, Sridevi: Rahul Gandhi
[ALSO READ] 'She was honest towards her work,' says actor Govinda on Sridevi's demise
- She received a multitude of awards including the fourth highest civilian award the Padma Shri in 2013 by the Govt of India & 6 Filmfare awards, the first at the age of 14. Sridevi started her career at the age of 4 in 'Thunaivan'. Her Bollywood debut was in 'Julie' at 12: Congress
- I really have no words, I am still not able to comprehend this loss, just can't imagine what the family is going through: Adil Hussain, actor
- Sridevi who acted in Telugu, Hindi & several other Indian languages films had captivated the cine-goers with her acting skills & earned countless fans: Telangana CM K. Chandrashekar Rao
- After post-mortem by Dubai police, Sridevi's mortal body will be taken back to Mumbai: Sources
- I wanted to accept it as a rumour, but in the end it was a reality. Whereever she is may her soul rest in peace. Our prayers are with her family. Nation mourns, she was a heartthrob for cinema lovers. We will always remember her: Annu Kapoor
- Sridevi's last rites will be held in Mumbai
- Have witnessed Sridevi's life from an adolescent teenager to the magnificeint lady she became. Her stardom was well deserved. Many happy moments with her flash through my mind including the last time I met her. Sadma's lullaby haunts me now. We'll miss her: Kamal Haasan
- Sridevi was very talented actress: Hema Malini
- I still can't believe it that Sridevi ji is no more, she had done countless legendary roles, its very very sad. Entire nation is shocked: Madhur Bhandarkar, filmmaker
- I was shocked to hear the news of her demise. She played an important role in the field of performing arts. We all have seen her capabilities on the screen. This is a huge loss for the nation. I give my heartfelt condolences to her family: Union Minister Piyush Goyal
- Jis shaadi (Dubai) mein woh gayin thi, main bhi wahin tha. Doosre din maine ek summit mein jaane ka decision liya. Mujhe dukh hai ki maine yeh decision liya,varna unke saath samay bitaane ka avsar milta: Amar Singh
- Unbelievable. She was a humble and beautiful lady. She was an amazing artist who had the ability to convey everything through her eyes. It feels like we are all in an airport departure lounge waiting for our announcements: Ranjeet
[MUST READ] Sridevi dies in Dubai: Here are 10 less known facts about Amma Yanger Ayyapan
- Whatever movies she did, her performances were unmatched. My heartfelt condolences to her family.The entire industry is in 'Sadma' by hearing this news: Ashoke Pandit, Filmmaker
- I have no words to express how i feel. We have grown up seeing her. It is difficult to digest that she is not with us. My heartiest condolences to her family: Sachin Tendulkar
- Shocked to hear of passing of movie star Sridevi. She has left millions of fans heartbroken. Her performances in films such as Moondram Pirai, Lamhe and English Vinglish remain an inspiration for other actors. My condolences to her family and close associates: President Ram Nath Kovind
- Saddened by the untimely demise of noted actor Sridevi. She was a veteran of the film industry, whose long career included diverse roles and memorable performances. My thoughts are with her family and admirers in this hour of grief. May her soul rest in peace: PMO
ALSO READ: Bollywood offers condolences to its first female superstar
Sridevi (Image: Facebook)
Born in Sivakasi, Tamil Nadu on 13 August 1963 to Tamil father Ayyapan and Telugu mother Rajeswari, Sridevi, in 1996, married Boney Kapoor, a film producer who is also the elder brother of actors Anil Kapoor and Sanjay Kapoor. They have two daughters, Jahnvi and Khushi.
(With ANI inputs)