Delhi: Prominent highlights of the budget for 2012-13 presented by
finance minister Pranab Mukherjee in the Lok Sabha on Friday are:
* Income tax exemption limit raised to Rs 2 lakh to provide relief for all
assessees; 20 per cent tax on income over Rs 10 lakh, up from Rs 8 lakh.
* Deduction of up to Rs 10,000 from interest from savings bank accounts.
* Defence to get Rs 1.93 lakh crore during 2012-13.
* Service tax rate raised from 10 per cent to 12 per cent to bring in Rs
* Number of proactive steps taken on black money (stashed away abroad);
information has started flowing in, prosecution to be initiated; White
Paper in current session.
* No change in corporate taxes but measures to enable them better access
* Withholding tax on external commercial borrowings reduced from 20 per
cent to five per cent for power, airlines, roads, bridges, affordable
houses and fertiliser sectors.
* National Skill Development Fund allocated Rs 1,000 crore.
* Four thousand residential quarters to be constructed for paramilitary
forces with an allocation of Rs 1,185 crore.
* National Population Register to be completed in two years.
* Excise duty raised from 10 to 12 per cent.
* Cinema industry exempted from service tax.
* Branded silver jewellery fully exempt from excise duty.
* Customs duty on warning systems/track upgrade equipment for railways
reduced from 10 per cent to 7.5 per cent.
* Import duty on equipment for iron ore mining reduced from 7.5 to 2.5 per
* Allocation of Rs 200 crore for research on climate change.
* Irrigation and water resource company to be operationalised.
* National mission on food processing to be started in cooperation with
* Integrated Child Development Scheme to be strengthened and restructured
with allocation of Rs 15,850 crore.
* Allocation of Rs 14,000 crore for rural water supply and sanitation.
* Infusion of Rs 15,888 crore in public sector banks, regional rural banks
and NABARD in 2012-13.
* Infrastructure will require Rs 50 lakh crore in 12th Plan, half of this
from the private sector.
* Completion of highway projects 44 per cent higher than in previous
* External commercial borrowing of up to $1 billion permitted for airline
* External commercial borrowings permitted to low-cost housing sector.
* From 2012-13, full subsidies for providing food security; in other
sectors to the extent the economy can bear this.
* Hope to raise Rs 30,000 crore from disinvestments.
* New equity savings scheme to provide for income tax deduction of 50 per
cent for those who invest Rs 50,000 in equity and whose annual income is
less than Rs 10 lakh.
* Corporate market reforms to be initiated.
* Bills on micro-finance institutions, national land bank and public debt
management among those to be introduced in 2012-13.
* Addressing malnutrition, black money and corruption in public life among
five priorities in year ahead.
* India's inflation structural, driven largely by agricultural
* Current account deficit 3.6 per cent in 2011-12; this put pressure on
* Growth in 2012-13 estimated at 7.6 per cent; expect inflation to be
* Better monitoring of expenditure on government schemes.
* Fiscal 2011-12 year of recovery interrupted; reality turned out to be
* GDP growth in 2011-12 estimated at 6.9 per cent; had to battle double
digit inflation for two years.
* Good news: agriculture and services continued to perform well;
economy is now turning around; recovery in core sectors.
* Now at juncture where it is necessary to take hard decisions; have to
accelerate pace of reforms.