Kovind’s name was declared as a nominee by BJP Chief Amit Shah post party’s Parliamentary board meet which was attended by senior party leaders including Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
During the briefing, Shah expressed his certainity towards Kovind’s election saying he has spoken to major parties and they have all hinted support to Kovind.
On a contrary, Congress' Ghulam Nabi Azad claimed that BJP has taken "one-sided decision" on Kovind’s selection.
Meanwhile, as per sources, former speaker, Meira Kumar can be Presidential candidate of the Opposition.
Kovind also met Prime Minister Narendar Modi later in the day, in the national capital.
Who is Ramnath
- Kovind is a politician from the Bharatiya Janata Party-BJP
- He never landed himelf into any controversy and has a clean image
- He was elected to Rajya Sabha from state of Uttar Pradesh during the two terms of 1994-2000 and 2000-2006
- He had cleared the civil services exam and got allied service but did not take it up
- He pursued law
- Kovind is an advocate practices in Delhi
- He is a former President of the BJP Dalit Morcha (1998-2002) and President of the All-India Koli Samaj
- He also served as national spokesperson of the party
- On 8 August 2015 the President of India appointed him the Governor of Bihar