The Ministry of Home Affairs has advised in its circular to CBSE schools that experience gained in handling terrorism in recent years has shown that spectacular terrorist actions may be undertaken with a view to gain widespread media and public attention. Places with large number of footfalls such as malls, multiplexes, hostels and schools are soft and most vulnerable targets for terrorist attacks.
This necessitates having a SOP, defining the role of the officials of the concerned agencies involved in counter measures.
The guidelines for schools includes asking them to prepare an escape plan for students in case of a terror attack, how to prevent hostage situation, how to raise alarm and shut doors and gates in case of an emergency.
Highlights of the SOPs:
- Principals of the schools have to read the SOP carefully and bring it to the notice of all the staff and the teachers of the schools.
- Develop a comprehensive action plan to implement the guidelines.
- Allocate specific roles to different personnel and teachers as per the SOP.
- Brief the staff about the action to be taken by them in any exigency.
- Take preventive measures as given in the guidelines in consultation with the local police.
- Keep the security personnel of the school on the alert
- Communicate clear guidelines to parents about what they should and should not do in case of any news of such incidents.
- Conduct advance reconnaissance of the school with the help of the local police.
- Hold mock drills for students, teachers and staff.
- The objective of this circular is purely educative in nature so as to alert the school administration and prepare it for any eventuality. Hence Principals are requested to
- Ensure that this information is disseminated discreetly, without creating any sense of panic.