The poster was found by some students who brought it to the varsity administration’s notice and it was removed by the security guards in the evening. The ones who put it up weren't identified yet.
ALSO READ: JNU bags 'Visitor's Award' for best varsity: 10 things you must know
5 KEY THINGS TO KNOW
- "Freedom for Kashmir! Free Palestine! Right to self-determination long live," the poster read with the name of ultra-Left group Democratic Students Union (DSU).
- DSU's former members Umar Khalid, Anirban Bhattacharya and others had organized the controversial event last year against the hanging of Parliament attack convict Afzal Guru at the JNU during which anti-national and ‘Azadi for Kashmir’ slogans were allegedly raised. Khalid, Bhattacharya and former student union president Kanhaiya Kumar are out on bail in a sedition case over the event.
- "The university has already lost precious time and energy in such unnecessary controversies. Unfortunately a small group of people are still trying to create another ruckus and vitiate the academic environment. We don't know who put up the poster as this has been the pattern in JNU. However, the administration has asked the staff to bring it down," a senior university official told newsagency PTI.
- The administration was unable to function for over 17 days due to the blockade of the administrative building by students in protest against changes in the admission policy and it was only early this week that the staff got access to the building and resumed work.
- BJP spokesperson and SC advocate Nalin Kohli said these posters and all have to be viewed seriously. “Each one of us owe to the country. We have to look at the integrity of the country. I do not know what kind of statement is this and why it is made. Soldiers are pained because at the border it is them who take the bullets,” he added.