"When Janata Government was formed in 1977, Nanaji Deshmukh was requested to join the Government as a Minister but he did not do so. He followed JP and preferred to devote himself towards rural development and making our villages self-reliant, free from poverty," Modi added.
Here are seven very less know facts about Nanaji Deshmukh:
- Chandikadas Amritrao Deshmukh also known as Nanaji Deshmukh was a social activist
- Maharaja of Sikar gave Deshmukh scholarship during his school days.
- Deshmukh worked as "pracharak" for RSS.
- Deshmukh established Bharat's first Saraswati Shishu Mandir at Gorakhpur in 1950.
- Desmukh actively participated in Bhoodan Movement started by Vinoba Bhave.
- Nanaji Deshmukh was awarded Padma Vibhushan in 1999.
- Nanaji Deshmukh was a leader of the Bharatiya Jana Sangh