PIC: Solaris Images.
New Delhi: Bollywood actor Arjun Rampal on Tuesday met senior BJP leaders at the party headquarters here and is expected to campaign for it in assembly elections in five states.
Actor Jackie Shroff is also likely to campaign for the party.
Rampal, a model turned actor, met the party general secretary Kailash Vijayvargiya and later heaped praise on Prime Minister Narendra Modi, saying he was impressed with the work of his government and wanted to work for the party.
“I am here to meet Kailash ji to support what Modi ji are doing for the country. What he is doing that is good and I support him. I am not here for politics, I am here to look at the benefit for country. I think this govt is doing good things,” Rampal said.
He also lauded the demonetisation move by PM Modi.
Vijayvargiya said Rampal can campaign in assembly elections. Asked if he will join the party, the BJP leader said it could be possible.
Party sources said Shroff may also campaign for them.
Both Jackie and Arjun will be the star campaigners for the party in the upcoming assembly polls.
The Uttar Pradesh Elections are to take place in 7 phases.
- Phase 1 has 73 constituencies, and the date of poll for phase 1 will be February 11
- Phase 2 has 67 constituencies and the date of poll in the same is February 15
- Phase 3 has 29 constituencies and the polling would take place on February 19
- In phase 4, there will be 63 constituencies and the date of polls will be Feb 23
- In phase 5, the date of notification would be February 2, 2017 and the election would take place on February 27
- In Phase 6, the date of notification would be Feb 5 and the date of polls will be March 4
- In Phase 7, which has 40 constituencies; the date of polls will be March 8
The results will be known on March 11.