ABP News-Nielsen Survey: 76% feel Delhi is the most unsafe city for women

ABP News-Nielsen Survey: 76% feel Delhi is the most unsafe city for women

By: || Updated: 20 Dec 2015 07:59 PM
New Delhi: The juvenile convict in the December 16 gangrape was today released and sent to an NGO at an undisclosed destination with police no longer guarding him, amid continued protest by the victim's parents.

Meanwhile, ABP News and Nielsen have conducted a survey on whether women safety has improved in the Delhi NCR or not after the brutal 2012 Nirbhaya gangrape case.

After the Nirbhaya Rape case women safety has improved in the Delhi NCR?   

Nearly 2/3rd (62%) of the  respondents feel that women safety in Delhi has not improved after the brutal 2012 Nirbhaya gangrape case. This feeling is more pronounced in Delhi compared to the NCR towns. Gurgaon stands out with 60% respondents saying that women safety in Delhi has improved after the Nirbhaya rape case.

Do you feel afraid of leaving house alone?

60% of the respondents said that they feel afraid to leave house alone. This feeling is more pronounced in Delhi compared to the NCR towns. However in Gurgaon 60% respondents feel that they do not feel afraid leaving house on their own.

 Do you feel afraid more at night compared to daytime?              

77% of the respondents said that they feel more afraid at night compared to daytime. This feeling is more pronounced among the younger respondents. More women in Gurgaon said that they do not feel more afraid at night.

Most unsafe city for women

Compared to other metros, Delhi by far is the most unsafe city for women, with more than 3/4th (76%) of the respondents saying so.

Which Government do you think is more vigilant towards safety of women?   

 Relatively, the central govt. is being preceived as being more vigilant towards women safety. However, higher proportion of respondents feel that neither Delhi govt. nor the Central govt. is vigilant towards women safety. However women in Gurgaon trust both Delhi and Central govt.

 Is Police sensitive towards safety of women?   

 More than half the respondents said that Police is not sensitive towards women safety. This feeling is more pronounced in North and Central Delhi. Even Gurgaon women agree to this despite their diverse views in earlier questions.

After 2012 case, do you think women are filing Police complaints for any crime against them like eve-teasing, molestation, rape?        

58% of the respondents said after the Nirbhaya rape case, women are more forthcoming to file complaints Police complaints for any crime against them like eve-teasing, molestation, rape, etc. This is more pronounced among the younger women.

90% women in South Delhi are more conscious to file complaints.

Most common problem women face outdoor?

 Obscene comments is by far the problem that women in Delhi NCR face most often. Physical molestation is also something women in South Delhi and NOIDA face.

Places where women often face eve-teasing or obscene comments?

Bazzar / market followed by streets are the place where women most often face eve-teasing or obscene comments, etc. Women in South Delhi and NOIDA face this menace on the streets.

 Effect of HIMMAT app in improving women safety?

More women in Delhi feel that the HIMMAT App is not effective where as more women in NCR towns feel otherwise. Younger women feel that the Himmat App is being effective in improving women safety.

Measures taken by women to ensure safety

 More than half the respondents feel safe when stepping out with other women friends. More women in South Delhi said that they ensure safety by keep talking on their phones and keeping their family informed about their movements. In NOIDA women try to return home before sunset to  ensure their safety.

People behaving better with women after Nirbhaya case?

42% women feel people change their attitude towards women after 2012 gangrape case however 58 women still feel people are unchanged.

 Do police take seriously complaints on crime against women?

39% women feel yes police take their complaints seriously, on the other hand 61% still feel police take their complaints  casually.

Is media reporting correctly?

52% women say yes media is correct in reporting on women safety matters.

Marshals in DTC buses?

28% women say yes, however 72% say they do not witness any marshals in DTC buses

 Have comments from rickshaw walla and taxi wallas reduced?

40% women feel yes however 60% says comments from rickshaw walla and taxi wallas have not reduced till today.

Women safety in public transport?

43% women feel safe in public transport on the other hand majority of 57% do not feel so.

Suggestions for improving women safety

  • Police should act strictly

  • Government should take stern actions

  • Court should give strict punishment to the criminals


 

Sampling Method used:

The Delhi-NCR was divided into 9 zones – In Delhi City, North, East, West, South, and Central; and in NCR, Noida, Ghaziabad, Faridabad and Gurgaon. Within each zone 8 areas were selected keeping in mind geographical spread. In each area 37-38 interviews were conducted.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

For INDIA News Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Google+ and for news updates download our News App.

First Published:
Next Story China infrastructure development in Doklam is temporary: Gen. Rawat