Nirbhaya gangrape case: Juvenile convict walks free despite protest

Nirbhaya gangrape case: Juvenile convict walks free despite protest

By: || Updated: 20 Dec 2015 02:02 PM
New Delhi: The juvenile convict in the December 16 gangrape was today released and sent to an NGO at an undisclosed destination with police no longer guarding him.

 

The freedom for the 20 year-old convict came as parents of the gangrape victim continued their protest for the second day today along with activists protesting against his release and demanding death for him.

 

“We have left him with an NGO,” police sources said.  Government sources said when asked two days back whether he would like to go home in Badaun in Uttar Pradesh or to an NGO, he opted for the latter citing security concerns.

 

The release became possible notwithstanding the Delhi Commission for Women’s late night effort to stall it failed after the Supreme Court post-midnight held a sitting and refused to stay it.  In its order, the Supreme Court declined to stop the release of the juvenile offender and posted the matter before a vacation bench that will hear the matter tomorrow.

 

Swati Maliwal, chairperson of the DCW which had approached the Supreme Court after the Delhi High Court had also declined to stay his release, hoped that since the matter has become sub judice, the government and Delhi Police will not release the juvenile offender.  “We are helpless as far as the release is concerned.

 

Our government, whether Centre or state, they only listen to you when you protest and get lathicharged, else they don’t care,” said the victim’s father Badri Singh Pandey.  Asha Devi, the victim’s mother said, “All knew that he will be released, so adequate steps should have been taken in the past three years.”

For CRIME News Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Google+ and for news updates download our News App.

First Published:
Next Story Delhi: 4 vehicles stolen every hour last year, says Police report