The condition of Dinesh Mahto, 30, of Bahera Bazaar in Darbhanga district deteriorated after he consumed poison in a fit of anger Sep 24.
His family members admitted him to a private clinic the same day.
Munna Mahto, a close relative of Dinesh, said: "After 24 hours, doctors told us that we have to spend a hefty sum of Rs.35,000 daily for his treatment while making it clear that there was hardly any chance of his survival."
Another relative Lakhan Mahto added: "We decided not to waste money on his treatment and his oxygen mask was removed. Doctors then declared Dinesh dead and we informed other family members of his demise."
Munna said: "On the way to Simaria Ghat, we noticed some activity in his body near Samastipur but we ignored it as an illusion. When we reached the ghat, Dinesh suddenly opened his eyes and we found he was conscious. It was like a miracle for us."
He said: "We informed the family at home. When we reached there with Dinesh, celebrations started. It is a unique Navratri gift for all of us."
With the news spreading like wildfire, people from neighbouring areas are thronging his home to have a glimpse of him.